Contacts / Connections
Communities / Discussions
Library / Resources
General | Top
Q: What is my username/password?
A: Your login credentials are the same username and password that you use to log in to the ADEA.org main site and/or events page. If you have forgotten your login credentials please Reset Your Password
. If you have any issues with your login credentials contact ADEA Membership
. If you have other questions please visit our Contact Us
Q: How do I update my contact information?
A: On your profile page, please select the pencil icon next to "Contact Details" in the left column.
Q: How do I control what information is visible in My Profile?
A: Please navigate to your profile page, then select the "My Account" tab and choose "Privacy Settings" from the drop-down menu. This will let you control what information is visible to whom. After you’ve made changes, click the “Save Changes” button at the bottom of the page.
Contacts / Connections | Top
Q: How do I find other members?
A: Click the “Network" or "Directory” link found in the main navigation bar. The Directory lets you search for other users based on:
- First and/or last name
- Company/Institution name
- Email address
Switch to the “Advanced Search” tab to refine your search results by:
Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?
A: There are several ways to add contacts. When you perform a search in the Directory, you will see an “Add as contact” button to the right of each person in your search results. Just click this button to send a contact request. If you click through and view an individual’s profile, you can click the contact request link to the right of his or her profile picture.
Q: Why should I add contacts to my contact list?
A: Creating this virtual address book makes it easy to send your contacts messages through the community site to stay in touch, ask questions or even build a referral network. Additionally, when you view another member’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common. You can also choose to let your contacts view certain demographics in your profile that others can't.
Communities / Discussions | Top
Q: What are communities?
A: Communities allow you to participate in discussions and share resources with other members.
Q: What communities do I already belong to?
A: Go to “Communities” in the main navigation bar. Select “My Communities” to view the communities you currently belong to.
Q: How do I join/subscribe to a community and the affiliated discussion group?
A: There are numerous ways you can join Sections or SIGs. Two of the options are listed below. You can also View a video
on the process.
1. Join Sections and/or SIGs
2. You can also:
a. Go to your 'Profile',
b. Click the pencil (edit) icon to the right of Contact Details
c. Go to the ADEA Sections and SIGs
section and click 'Edit'
d. Once you have made your changes, save them by selecting 'Submit / Go back to MyADEA'SPECIAL NOTE:
It may take up to 10 minutes for your changes to be reflected in ADEA Connect.
Q: How can I control the frequency of emails I receive?
A: Navigate to your profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. On that page, there are subscription options: Real Time, Daily Digest, No Email.
For each discussion, you have the following delivery options:
How to Set Up a Consolidated Digest:
- Real time: sends an email every time a new message is posted.
- Daily digest: sends one email to you each day, consolidating all of the posts from the previous day.
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site.
- Consolidated Daily Digest: Allows you to receive all of the communities emails in one email on a daily basis. (See instructions below on how to set this up).
- Consolidated Weekly Digest: Allows you to receive all of the communities emails in one email on a weekly basis, and you can set which day of the week you want to receive it. (See instructions below on how to set this up).
You can set your email to be delivered in a consolidated digest for either a daily or weekly delivery. The consolidated digest allows you to set which day of the week you want to receive your weekly digest. IMPORTANT NOTE: Unlike the regular daily digest, you can not respond to an email in a consolidated digest. You MUST log into the community to respond to a specific post.
To set your email to a Consolidated Digest
- Select your Profile icon, then select 'Profile'
- Go to My Account > Community Notifications
- Scroll down the page to choose which community you want to set up as a consolidated daily and/or weekly digest
- If you choose 'weekly digest', scroll back up to the page and in the section titled Weekly Consolidated Community Digest select the day you want your weekly digest to be delivered on.
Q: How do I leave a community or unsubscribe from a discussion?
A: Go to your profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. Here, you will see a list of available communities and those to which you’ve subscribed. Select "Leave Community” under the Actions column for the discussions you wish to leave.
Q: How do I respond to others’ posts?
A: To respond to a discussion post, please navigate to the discussion post and click “Reply to Discussion” to send your message to the entire community. To send a message to the only author of the post, please select “Reply to Sender” (located in the "Reply to Discussion" drop-down). We recommend replying to the sender for simple comments like “me, too” that add little value to the overall discussion; and replying to the entire community when you are sharing knowledge, experience or resources that others could benefit from.
Q: How do I delete/edit my post?
A: To edit one of your own posts, simply navigate to the desired thread and select Edit Post from the drop-down. You will not be able to delete a post. If you need a post deleted please send an email to Online Community Post-Delete
Q: How do I start a new discussion thread?
A: Go to “Participate" > “Post a message.” From an email (HTML version) for a particular discussion forum, you can use the “Post Message” link located at the top of the discussion email. If you are creating a new post (not from an existing email) then type the name of the community email name (e.g. adea-test@ConnectedCommunity.org) then format your email as normal and send it.
Q: I’m having trouble viewing the HTML email messages. How do I fix this?
A: If images are not appearing, it is likely that your email client is set to suppress images. This should be something you can change in your security or viewing options. If you would rather receive text-based email, go to your profile page and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. Select the “Plain Text” format option for each of the discussions you are subscribed to.
Q: Can I search for posts across all the communities?
A: Yes, please enter a keyword in the search bar located in the main navigation. To refine your search results, please select "Show Advanced Search".
Q: How do I see a listing of all of the posts to a specific Community?
A: Locate the community you are interested in viewing from the appropriate communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Discussions” tab. If you see a post you’re interested in, click the subject line which will take you to the entire thread. “Show Original Message” at the bottom of all of the posts in a thread will display the original message that started that discussion.
Q: How do I use @mentions?
A: The @Mention
feature allows community members to mention other users in various locations on ADEA Connect, such as discussion posts, blog posts, comments, and HTML pages.
@Mentions are a great way to invite individuals to join a conversation, provide recognition, call attention to resources, and overall increase engagement. When a user is @mentioned, they will receive an email notification letting them know (as long as they can access the associated content).
- Initiate the @mention by typing "@" and then start typing the user's name. As you type, a list of suggested users will appear.
NOTE: Users who are opted out of the Directory will not appear in the suggestions, and profile privacy settings are respected.
- Select the desired user from the list of suggestions and the @mention will become a hyperlink to the selected user's profile.
Libraries | Top
Q: How do I find resources that may have been uploaded by other members?
A: If you know which library the resource might be located in, find the affiliated community via the All Communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Library” tab . If you do not know where the resource might be, enter search terms in the main search box the same way you might enter search terms into Google or another search engine.
Q: Can I search for specific file types?
A: Yes. Enter your desired keyword in the main search box. From the search results page, click "Show Advanced Search." Then click on “Search for Specific File Types.” This gives you the option to specify file type: Document, Image, Spreadsheet, etc.
Q: How do the libraries get populated?
A: The libraries are populated in two ways:
1. When you include an attachment in a discussion post, the system automatically places it in the affiliated library.
2. You can also upload documents directly to a library by using the “Upload a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" button on any community's library page. Library resources are not required to be associated with a discussion thread.
Q: How do I upload a file?
A: Select the “Upload a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" on any community landing page. Please note that uploading a document is accomplished by completing a few steps, and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next:
- Choose a title for your document, and include a description (optional). Select the library to which you’d like to upload it, and select a folder to which you’d like to upload it (optional). Then, choose an Entry Type (most will be Standard Files, but be cognizant of any copyright licensed material). Once you have completed these steps, please click “Next.”
- Upload your file.
- Select “Next” if you want to further describe your files and/or add tags to your file. Otherwise, please click “Finish” to post your library entry
Q: What kind of files can I upload?
A: The system supports dozens of file types including hyperlinks, standard files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), webinars, images and YouTube videos.
Q: What are the “tags” for?
A: Tags are great way to organize and categorize content on your site. Tags can be applied to blogs, library entries, events, and glossary terms. Tagged items are prioritized in the search results.