A: There are different options to choose to mark your email as 'not spam' and it depends on the email client you use. Here are some of the most common email clients.
1) Select the Junk mail folder > select the desired email
2) Right click on the email and choose Junk Mail > Junk > Never Block Sender's Domain (@example.com) > OK
1) Select the Spam folder > select the desired email
2) Click "Not Spam" at the top of the screen
1) 1) Select the Spam folder > select the desired email
2) Click "Not Spam"
Contacts / Connections | Top
Q: How do I find other members?
A: Click the “Network" or "Directory” link found in the main navigation bar. The Directory lets you search for other users based on:
- First and/or last name
- Company/Institution name
- Email address
Switch to the “Advanced Search” tab to refine your search results by:
Q: How do I add contacts to my contact list?
A: There are several ways to add contacts. When you perform a search in the Directory, you will see an “Add as contact” button to the right of each person in your search results. Just click this button to send a contact request. If you click through and view an individual’s profile, you can click the contact request link to the right of his or her profile picture.
Q: Why should I add contacts to my contact list?
A: Creating this virtual address book makes it easy to send your contacts messages through the community site to stay in touch, ask questions or even build a referral network. Additionally, when you view another member’s profile, you’ll be able to see any contacts you have in common. You can also choose to let your contacts view certain demographics in your profile that others can't.
Communities / Discussions | Top
Q: What are communities?
A: Communities allow you to participate in discussions and share resources with other members.
Q: What communities do I already belong to?
A: Go to “Communities” in the main navigation bar. Select “My Communities” to view the communities you currently belong to.
Q: How do I join/subscribe to an ADEA Section or Special Interest Group (SIG) community?
A: There are numerous ways you can join Sections or SIGs. Two of the options are listed below. You can also View a video on the process.1. Join Sections and/or SIGs 2. You can also: a. Go to your 'Profile', b. Click the pencil (edit) icon to the right of Contact Details
c. Go to the ADEA Sections and SIGs section and click 'Edit' d. Once you have made your changes, save them by selecting 'Submit / Go back to MyADEA'SPECIAL NOTE: It may take up to 10 minutes for your changes to be reflected in ADEA Connect.
Q: How can I control the amount of community email notifications I receive?
A: Change your community notifications by doing the following:
For each discussion, you have the following notification options:
- Select your profile.
- Select the "My Account" tab.
- Select "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down the page to the Notification Settings section.
- Select the community for which you would like to change the email notification.
- In the 'Discussion Email' column choose from the following options: Real Time, Daily Digest, or No Email.
- Click in the 'Consolidated Daily Digest' and/or 'Consolidated Weekly Digest' columns, to place a check If you want to set up either of the consolidated digests.
- If you choose 'weekly digest', scroll back up to the page and in the section titled Weekly Consolidated Community Digest select the day you want your weekly digest to be delivered on.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Unlike the regular daily digest, you can not respond to an email within your email client in a consolidated digest. You MUST log into the community to respond to a specific post.
- Real time: sends an email every time a new message is posted.
- Daily digest: sends one email to you each day, consolidating all of a particular community's discussion posts from the previous day.
- No Email: allows you to be part of the group without having emails sent to you. You can still post and read others’ messages by logging into the community site.
- Consolidated Daily Digest: Allows you to receive all of your selected community emails in one email on a daily basis.
- Consolidated Weekly Digest: Allows you to receive all of your selected community emails in one email on a weekly basis. You will also need to set which day of the week you want to receive it.
Q: How do I leave a community or unsubscribe from a discussion?
A: Go to your profile and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. Here, you will see a list of available communities and those to which you’ve subscribed. Select "Leave Community” under the Actions column for the discussions you wish to leave.
Q: How do I respond to others’ posts?
A: To respond to a discussion post:
1) On ADEA Connect:
a) Select the discussion post you want to reply to and click "REPLY TO ALL" to send an email to all in the community.
b) To reply to the author of the post, i) Select the discussion post, ii) Click "More", iii) Click 'Reply Privately'
2) Within an Email:
a) Select the post you want to reply to and click “Reply to Group Online" or "Reply to Group" to send to all members in that community, OR
b) Click 'Reply to Sender' or 'Reply to Sender via Email" to reply to the author of that specific post.
Discussion” to send your message to the entire community.
We recommend replying to the sender for simple comments like “me, too” that add little value to the overall discussion; and replying to the entire community when you are sharing knowledge, experience or resources that others could benefit from.
Q: How do I delete/edit my post?
A: To edit one of your own posts, 1) select your post, 2) click on the 'More' option, 3) click Edit from the drop-down. Make the desired changes to your post then click Save.
You will not be able to delete a post. However, if you want to remove a post 1) select your post, 2) click on the 'More' option, 3) click 'Mark as Inappropriate'. A box will pop up and you can specify in the box you want the message removed/deleted. If you have any issues please send an email to Online Community Post-Delete
Q: How do I access my draft posts?
A: To edit one of your posts that you saved as a draft:
1 . Click on the down arrow beside your profile picture in the upper right corner of the screen.
2. ,Click on Profile.
3. In your user profile, click My Contributions > My List of Contributions
The My Content list displays your published, saved and scheduled content.
1. Click the View all items dropdown and choose View draft items. The page refreshes and displays only your draft items.
2. Click a draft's title to manage it.
IMPORTANT: If you make a selection from the dropdown but you don't have any content items in the chosen state, when the page refreshes it will be blank and the dropdown will not display. Click My Contributions > My List of Contributions to repopulate the page with your content.
Q: How do I start a new discussion thread?
1) If you are on ADEA Connect: Go to “Participate" > “Post a message”. In the To: field select the community you want to create the message in. Complete your message and click SEND.
2) From within an email for a particular discussion community, you can use the “Post New Message” link located at the top of the discussion email, then format your email as normal and send it.
3) If you are creating a new post (not from an existing email) then type the name of the community email name (e.g. adea-test@ConnectedCommunity.org) then format your email as normal and send it.
Q: I’m having trouble viewing the HTML email messages. How do I fix this?
A: If images are not appearing, it is likely that your email client is set to suppress images. This should be something you can change in your security or viewing options. If you would rather receive text-based email, go to your profile page and click on the "My Account" tab. Choose "Community Notifications" from the drop-down menu. Select the “Plain Text” format option for each of the discussions you are subscribed to.
Q: Can I search for posts across all the communities?
A: Yes, please enter a keyword in the search bar located in the main navigation. To refine your search results, please select "Show Advanced Search".
Q: How do I see a listing of all of the posts to a specific Community?
A: Locate the community you are interested in viewing from the appropriate communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Discussions” tab. If you see a post you’re interested in, click the subject line which will take you to the entire thread. “Show Original Message” at the bottom of all of the posts in a thread will display the original message that started that discussion.
Q: How do I use @mentions?
A: The @Mention feature allows community members to mention other users in various locations on ADEA Connect, such as discussion posts, blog posts, comments, and HTML pages. @Mentions are a great way to invite individuals to join a conversation, provide recognition, call attention to resources, and overall increase engagement. When a user is @mentioned, they will receive an email notification letting them know (as long as they can access the associated content).
- Initiate the @mention by typing "@" and then start typing the user's name. As you type, a list of suggested users will appear.
NOTE: Users who are opted out of the Directory will not appear in the suggestions, and profile privacy settings are respected.
- Select the desired user from the list of suggestions and the @mention will become a hyperlink to the selected user's profile.
Libraries | Top
Q: How do I find resources that may have been uploaded by other members?
A: If you know which library the resource might be located in, find the affiliated community via the All Communities page. Click through the community's landing page, then click on the “Library” tab . If you do not know where the resource might be, enter search terms in the main search box the same way you might enter search terms into Google or another search engine.
Q: Can I search for specific file types?
A: Yes. Enter your desired keyword in the main search box. From the search results page, click "Show Advanced Search." Then click on “Search for Specific File Types.” This gives you the option to specify file type: Document, Image, Spreadsheet, etc.
Q: How do the libraries get populated?
A: The libraries are populated in two ways:
1. When you include an attachment in a discussion post, the system automatically places it in the affiliated library.
2. You can also upload documents directly to a library by using the “Upload a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" button on any community's library page. Library resources are not required to be associated with a discussion thread.
Q: How do I upload a file?
A: Select the “Upload a File” link found under “Participate” in the main navigation or "Create New Library Entry" on any community landing page. Please note that uploading a document is accomplished by completing a few steps, and each step must be completed before you can move on to the next:
- Choose a title for your document, and include a description (optional). Select the library to which you’d like to upload it, and select a folder to which you’d like to upload it (optional). Then, choose an Entry Type (most will be Standard Files, but be cognizant of any copyright licensed material). Once you have completed these steps, please click “Next.”
- Upload your file.
- Select “Next” if you want to further describe your files and/or add tags to your file. Otherwise, please click “Finish” to post your library entry
Q: What kind of files can I upload?
A: The system supports dozens of file types including hyperlinks, standard files (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), webinars, images and YouTube videos.
Q: What are the “tags” for?
A: Tags are great way to organize and categorize content on your site. Tags can be applied to blogs, library entries, events, and glossary terms. Tagged items are prioritized in the search results.